The Cypress Creek High School one-act play, “Cat on a Hot Tin Roof,” and the Cypress Ridge High School one-act play, “Lucy,” were both selected to advance to the UIL Region III-5A One-Act Play competition following their performances at the Area 1 competition on April 10 at San Jacinto College. Only two of the six plays participating in the area competition are selected to advance to regionals. Cypress Creek senior Ben Granger, who played Big Daddy, won Best Actor for the competition.
“To be given the opportunity to play the role of Big Daddy and tell the story of this family has been one of the best experiences of my acting career,” Granger said. Cypress Ridge senior Michelle Nguyen, who placed Lucy, won Best Actress. “Being part of this team has meant a lot to me; it is definitely the aspect of being part of something and not necessarily the awards,” Nguyen said. “It is about going through a journey with the ensemble to tell a story.”
Other awards won by CFISD students included:
- Ginelie Franco, Cypress Ridge – All-Star Cast;
- Andi Dinehart, Cypress Creek – All-Star Cast;
- Alex Martinez, Cypress Creek – All-Star Cast;
- Samantha Stephenson, Cypress Ridge – Honorable Mention All-Star Cast;
- Hayley Morlock, Cypress Creek – Honorable Mention All-Star Cast;
- Kaetlyn Males-Strickland, Cypress Ridge – Outstanding Technician; and
- Alex Jahir, Cypress Creek – Outstanding Technician.
The regional competition will take place at San Jacinto College – Central Campus on Saturday, April 20. Cypress Ridge will lead off the competition with the first performance at 3:30 p.m. Cypress Creek, which will have the fifth performance of the day, is expected to start at approximately 7:15 p.m. Admission to see all performances is $10 per person.