The Houston Endowment announced on Monday that 40 students have been selected as 2012 Jones Scholars.
The students join the community of more than 10,800 students who have been named Jesse H. and Mary Gibbs Jones Scholars in the 55 years since the program was established by the Houston Endowment.
Seniors attending most Harris County public schools can apply to become a Jones Scholar. Candidates are nominated by each participating high school, and a Rotary Club of Houston committee makes the final selection based on academic achievement, economic need, leadership skills, community service and character.
A special section recognizing the scholars will appear in the City and State section of the Houston Chronicle on Sunday, May 12.
The following students have been named Jones Scholars:
Cy-Fair High School
- Brandon J. Larry, Allen Liao, Guadalupe E. Sanchez and Daniel D. Tran.
Cypress Creek High School
- Gabrielle S. Barnett, Matthew D. Nguyen, Amanda I. Okoli and Aleena Sara A. Tholanikunnal.
Cypress Falls High School
- Abi R. Amadin, Carolina Hernandez, Hassan A. Khan, Tram Anh T. Pham and Deborah S. Seow.
Cypress Lakes High School
- Hoda J. El-Haj, Victor L. Lam, Tevin J. Richards and David T. Ton.
Cypress Ranch High School
- William B. Grayson, Van P. Nguyen and Vy T. Tran.
Cypress Ridge High School
- Paola Garza, Thomas V. Nguyen, Karen Perez and Keldrick L. Winslow.
Cypress Springs High School
- Joseph A. Castillo, Zeneida Ramirez and Fizza Rizvi.
Cypress Woods High School
- Horacio Hernandez, Emily Y. Hood, Samantha Rivera and Yameng L. Zhang.
Jersey Village High School
- Amelia K. Falcon, Yijing Li, Zachary M. Martinez and Tram N. Pham.
Langham Creek High School
- Iqra Dada, Gwen Danielle A. Leonares, Andrea M. Ojeda and Muhammad S. Sheikh.
Windfern High School
- Jessica T. Le.