Cypress, TX (June 23, 2016) CFISD elementary librarians released the 11th annual Horned Toad Tales list—a list of 20 recommended books for students in grades 3-5 for the 2016-2017 school year—in the spring.
After a yearlong evaluation process and hundreds of books read, the following books featuring a 2014 or 2015 copyright date were chosen for the Horned Toad Tales list:
- All the Answers by Kate Messner;
- Appleblossom the Possum by Holly Goldberg Sloan;
- Billy Sure, Kid Entrepreneur by Luke Sharpe;
- Crenshaw by Katherine Applegate;
- Finding Serendipity by Angelica Banks;
- Fuzzy Mud by Louis Sachar;
- A Handful of Stars by Cynthia Lord;
- I Am Lucille Ball by Brad Meltzker;
- I, Fly: The Buzz About Flies and How Awesome They Are by Bridget Heos;
- Lucky Strike by Bobbie Pyron;
- Scarlett the Cat to the Rescue: Fire Hero by Nancy Loewen;
- Shooting at the Stars: The Christmas Truce of 1914 by John Hendrix;
- The Story of Diva and Flea by Mo Willems;
- The Terrible Two by Jory John and Mac Barnett;
- The Trouble with Ants by Claudia Mills;
- Tucky Jo and Little Heart by Patricia Polacco;
- Unusual Chickens for the Exceptional Poultry Farmer by Kelly Jones;
- The Way to Stay in Destiny by Augusta Scattergood;
- Winnie: The True Story of the Bear Who Inspired Winnie-the-Pooh by Sally Walker; and
- Winterfrost by Michelle Houts.
The books underwent a detailed nomination process by the 11-member Horned Toad Tales committee. If a book was nominated, all committee members read it and voted on it. The list will be published and distributed to all elementary librarians, who stock the books in their school libraries and include them on the following year’s “Name That Book” list.
The following 11 librarians comprise the Horned Toad Tales committee:
- Kristi Schleier, Post Elementary School;
- Ruth Wiesmann, Farney Elementary School (retired);
- Jennifer Buchert, Copeland Elementary School;
- Kim Katz, Moore Elementary School;
- Debbie Hall, Millsap Elementary School;
- Laura Bissey, Willbern Elementary School;
- Pattie Lane, Tipps Elementary School;
- Liz Budnek, Keith Elementary School;
- Gina Moss, Warner Elementary School;
- Paula Morgan, Sampson Elementary School (retired); and
- Alana Wilkin, Duryea Elementary School.
Incoming committee members are:
- Deborah Jones, Gleason Elementary School;
- Karen Womack, Matzke Elementary School; and
- Karen Wetzig, Lee Elementary School.
The Horned Toad Tales list was named in honor of former Matzke Elementary School librarian Jackie Hopkins, who has gone on to become a published children’s author. One of her first big published books was named The Horned Toad Prince.
Students who read five of the 20 books (or have the books read to them) get to vote for their favorite book in February of each year. The Horned Toad Tales committee contacts the author of the winning book and sends him/her a horned toad trophy.