Cypress, TX (July 14, 2016) This weekend’s updates on road construction in the area.
The US 290 contractor working on Projects H (Pinemont to W. Little York) and G (W. Little York to FM 529) is making visible progress and ready to advance to the next phase of construction. During the weekend of July 15-18, 2016, crews will switch traffic on US 290 westbound mainlanes in Project H and place traffic in a temporary lane configuration in Project G.
- Project H – US 290 westbound mainlanes will be shifted to new pavement on the north side of the freeway between Fairbanks N. Houston and W. Little York. This allows the contractor to begin work on the center portion of the mainlanes. In addition, the entrance ramp from Fairbanks N. Houston and exit ramp to Gessner will be opened. The temporary exit ramp to W. Little York will be closed.
- Project G – The new US 290 westbound collector-distributor will be opened. This is a two lane roadway that runs parallel to US 290 between the mainlanes and frontage road. The entrance ramp from W. Little York and exit ramp to FM 529 will be opened.
In order for the contractor to safely work on westbound mainlane reconstruction in Project G, crews will place the westbound mainlanes in a temporary configuration. Traveling westbound, motorists in the two outside mainlanes will be shifted to the new collector-distributor, just past the Sam Houston Tollway exit. They will continue for about a mile where they will rejoin the mainlanes. The inside mainlane will continue as a through lane. This work is estimated to take six weeks to complete.
Beginning 9 p.m., Friday, July 15 through 5 a.m., Monday, July 18, the following will be closed. Motorists should expect heavy delays and are strongly encourage to seek alternate routes.
- US 290 westbound mainlanes from Fairbanks N. Houston to FM 529 will be closed. Motorists will be detoured to the frontage road at the Fairbanks N. Houston exit and can reenter past FM 529.
- US 290 westbound direct connector to Sam Houston Tollway north- and southbound will be closed. Motorists will be detoured to the frontage road at the Fairbanks N. Houston exit and turn left or right on Beltway 8 to access the tollway. Motorists traveling northbound will use the Beltway 8 frontage road entrance past Philippine, while motorists traveling southbound will use the entrance ramp past W. Little York.
- Sam Houston Tollway north- and southbound connector to US 290 east- and westbound will be closed. Motorists traveling southbound can exit at West Road and continue on the Beltway 8 frontage road to US 290. Motorists traveling northbound can exit at Tanner and continue on the Beltway 8 frontage road to US 290.
The Metropolitan Transit Authority of Harris County (METRO) is partnering with TxDOT to keep the US 290 Express (HOV) lane opened at no cost as an alternate route in the westbound direction. It will be available from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m., Saturday, July 16 and 6 a.m. to 8 p.m., Sunday, July 17. Access is available at the following locations:
- Access ramp from westbound IH 10 near Washington Avenue to US 290 Express (HOV) lane,
- Northwest Transit Center on Old Katy Road, east of N. Post Oak, and
- IH 610 West Loop southbound frontage road just before Hempstead.
The HOV lane ends just west of Eldridge Parkway. There will be no access to the W. Little York Park & Ride Lot and Northwest Station Park & Ride Lot on West Road. All vehicles are allowed to use the HOV lane, except trucks over one ton or with more than two axles and towing trailers.
Local law enforcement will be on site to facilitate traffic through the signalized intersections. The contractor will work to open the outside mainlane as work progresses through the weekend.